Thursday, August 26, 2010

Cupcake Review #1: BabyCakes (Kansas City, MO)- Raffeal


I know, I know... you've been anxiously awaiting my 1st review. I've been so overwhelmed by the many emails and phone calls stressing the demand of my review. Even singer, Janelle Monae tweeted, "Boy, when is my boo, Raffeal gonna write a cupcake review?" Well, really, ...um...it was only one tweet demand from my partner in cupcakes, Toya. She was telling me that I was taking too long (lol). I can dream can't I?

Two weeks ago, I traveled back to my hometown, Kansas City, Mo. I always seem to come home with a hungry belly, ready to destroy all foods that dare to cross my path. My homey, Larry (aka LARS), a fellow "Cupcake Gangsta," knew exactly where to take me. He took me to BabyCakes, located in the historic River Market. We were quickly overtaken by the sweet smell of freshly baked cupcakes and enticed by the sight of delicately, decorated toppings. I promise, we stood there for about 5 minutes just taking it all in.

We were greeted by Audrey, a BabyCakes intern. She studies business administration at Baker University. She was AWESOME! She could sell me anything with that personality. She educated us on the history of BabyCakes and assisted us into making a decision on which cupcakes to try. Obviously, our inner "Fat Kid" was hindering us from making up our minds....we wanted them all. She picked out 6 of her favorite cupcakes for us to try. She's THE BEST! We ate them all...don't judge us!

We tried:
Pineapple/ w. Cream Cheese Buttercream
Banana
Strawberry/ w. Cream Cheese Buttercream
Red Velvet
Carrot Cake
Orange
Pineapple w. Cream Cheese Buttercream

What makes a good cupcake is when the flavors are not just in the icing, but in the cake too. I just hate it when folks call something a Caramel Cupcake when it's only caramel icing on yellow, boring cake. It's not a caramel cupcake, it's a small, boring yellow cake with store bought caramel icing.You can't fool me, Suckah!


I am happy to inform you that Babycakes got it right! Their cakes and toppings share a perfect union of mouth watering flavors. I enjoyed them all; I'm a sucker for buttercream! But hands down, the Pineapple with Cream Cheese Buttercream and the Strawberry with Cream Cheese Buttercream won us over! I found myself licking my fingers...and y'all know that that is a pet peeve of mine. You can absolutely taste the union of flavors (trying to be poetic) in every bite.


Next time you come to Kansas City, after devouring Gates Bar-b-q, I highly recommend you stop by BabyCakes to satisfy that sweet tooth. Tell them that Raffeal and Larry sent you. They probably won't remember who we are....so just smile and nod as if they do remember. (LOL)
Click HERE TO VIEW BABYCAKES SITE

Signed,
Raffeal "Your Cupcake Hero" Sears

4 comments:

  1. Raffeal, I hate to comment on another shop's cupcakes, but just letting you know that I'll be waiting for your CupcakeStop review! :) If you're weirded out by how I know that...it's Sam and I served you your cupcakes at Limelight today...can't wait to read it and so happy you finally found CupcakeStop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Samantha,
    It was great meeting you too! Those cupcakes were amazing! The review will be up this week! Stay tuned! I'll be back for another one....tomorrow (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Raffeal! It's Shara! Great blog you guys have here. Great review too. I'm going to have to go check them out, but I really don't need to be reading this blog. What are you trying to do to me? Lol.

    ReplyDelete